How to Create a Contact Form in WordPress?
Are you looking to add a contact form to a WordPress site ? All websites need this type of form so that users can contact them about their products and services. In this WordPress tutorial, we will show you how to create (step by step) a WordPress contact form, without touching a single line of code.
Why do you need a contact form ?
Why need a contact form ? Why can’t I just add my email address to the site so people can contact me ?
This is a very common question for beginners because they are afraid that adding a form will require technical knowledge. But the truth is, you don’t need to know anything about it in code. This step-by-step guide to add a contact form has been designed for perfect beginners.
Below are the main reasons why a contact form is much better than sticking your email address at the bottom of the page.
- Protecting themselves against Spam: Spamming robots regularly explore websites to label email addresses on their mailing lists. As soon as you publish your email address on the site, you will start receiving tons of spam. On the other hand, when you use a form this contact, you can save almost all spam.
- Have Consistent Information: When they send you an email, people don’t necessarily provide all the information you need. Using the contact form, you can tell them everything you need (such as their phone number, budget, etc.)
- Save Time: Forms Help You Save More Time than You Imagine. Apart from the information we mentioned above, you can also use the confirmations of the form to indicate to your user what are the next steps ; like watching a video or waiting 24 hours to get an answer, so they don’t send you multiple requests.
Here is the example of a WordPress contact form that we will create in this tutorial.
After creating the above form, we will also show you how you can add it to your contact page, or to your side menu bar, simply using the WordPress contact form widget.
Okay with you ? So let’s start !
This guide takes place in 6 stages :
The first thing to do is to choose a plugin (extension module) from the WordPress contact form.
If you can choose from the different free or paid (like Ninja Forms or Contact Form 7), I prefer to use WP Forms for my sites. And, believe me, this is by far the best option on the market.
- It is the most suitable contact form plugin for beginners. You can use a simple creation tool that will allow you to shape your form by just a few drag and drop.
- WPForms Lite is 100% free, and you can use it to create a simple contact form.
- If you want something more powerful, you can move to the top WPForms Pro
Now that we have chosen the contact form plugin, let’s move on, and install it on our site.
In this tutorial, I will therefore use WPForms Lite.
You can install this plugin on your site by identifying yourself on your WordPress configuration panel, and by going to Extensions> Add.
In the search field, type “WpForms” and click the Install button.
Once the plugin is installed, make sure it is well active when going to Extensions> Installed Extensions. If not, click “Activate.
Now that you have activated WPForms, you are ready to create a contact form on WordPress. You can follow the start guide or simply go to WPForms> New to create your first contact form.
This command will open the form creator to drag and drop WPForms (drag & drop). Start by giving a name to your form, then select the template you want to use.
There are only three pre-built models available on WPForms Lite (Vide, Simple Form, or a Suggestions Form). But you can use them as a basis to create just about any type of form you might want for your site.
For this example, we will select the Simple Contact Form. This model will itself add the Name, Email and Message fields.
You can click on the fields to edit them. You can also use your mouse to change the order of the fields by dragging and dropping.
If you want to add a new field simply select from those available on the left. When you are finished, click the Save orange button.
Now that you have created your form, it is important that you correctly configure the notifications and confirmation message of the form.
The Confirmation message is what your visitors see after filling out the form. It often takes the form of a thank you message, but you can also redirect to a specific page.
Notification is the email you receive when someone has completed the form on your WordPress site.
You can customize each of them using the Settings tab of the WPForms stopper.
The best thing about WPForms is that its default settings are perfect for beginners. When you go into the notification parameters, all the fields are already dynamically pre-filled.
By default, notifications are sent to the Administrator email that you have completed on your site. If you prefer it to be sent to a personal email address, you can change the default setting. And if you want to direct the confirmation to several email addresses, you just need to separate them with a comma.
The subject of the email is pre-filled with your name. The sending field is automatically entered with the name of the user. When you respond to his request, it will be sent to the email that your user has indicated in the contact form.
Now that your WordPress contact form is configured, it’s time to put it on a page.
To start, you must either create a new page in WordPress or edit an existing page, the one on which you want to add the contact form.
We will use the shortcode of the WordPress contact form to add the form to a page. Simply click the Add Form button at the top and select the form you want to add. A form shortcode should be added to the contents of your page. Then save your page so you can preview it.
This is what your form on a WordPress page should look like (colors and font can vary with your theme) :
If you only wanted to add the form to a page, Bravo ! You have finished !
But if you want to add it to the side menu or to another space provided for widgets, you have a small step !
WPForms contains a contact form widget that you can use to add your form to the side menu, or to any other area provided for widgets on your theme.
In the WordPress dashboard, go to Apparence> Widgets. You will see a WPForms widget that you can simply move to any area planned for the widgets on your theme.
Then add the title of your widget and select the form you want to display. Save these settings, and voila !
AND THERE !
We hope this article helped you create a simple contact form on WordPress. You may also be interested in our beginner’s guide to customize his WordPress theme.
If you have found this article useful, have suggestions or questions, please give us a comment !
- Why AI Needs More Human Expertise
- How To Use Android Apps on Windows 11
- 10 Types Of Cloud Computing Technologies And How They Impact Your Business
- October Play Station plus Free Games: 17 Awesome PlayStation 2 and 3 Games You Should Be Aware Of
- Cloud Agnostic Hardware for IoT: An Alternative That Could Change How the Internet Works